Arlette Day and her husband, John, formed Day Murray Music in 1946. The name comes from the young couple’s last name and their hometown of Murray, Utah. They worked closely together and struggled in the years following World War II. Through their commitment to each other, their church and their customers, they persevered and built their business.
Day Murray’s large choral music selection became widely known and used for many celebrations and community programs throughout the state of Utah and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Arlette was also the first female on the Murray city council as well as many other community groups and charities. Throughout her long career in music Arlette was very proud of the fact that her son Klint and his wife Rosanne took over running the music store. When Arlette passed away in 2015, her grandson Jared Day continued with the family tradition by working as the store manager.
The building where Day Murray Music started is known as the Waverly Building. This beautiful building was built in 1897 and is listed as a Historical Site. Over the years, the Day family has made changes as the business has grown. For example, the back part of the building was added about 50 years ago and is now houses Day Violins. In addition to a beautiful showroom, there is also a new state of the art violin workshop.
Around 30 years ago, the company expanded to the north by purchasing an old pawn shop so the cultural center could be added. In addition to the retail space, there is a professional recording studio in the basement, two teaching studios on the main level, and ten teaching studios on the second level.
In 2001, Day Murray Music added a new location in Lehi to better serve customers in Utah County. Adam Day managed the Lehi store until he devoted his attentions to his own company, Day Violins. The Lehi store is managed by Kris Ward.